Frequently Asked Questions

How do children come to live at Home of Hope?

All children that are placed in our care are placed by the Department of Social Development. The Department of Social Development (DSD) is responsible to place children in foster care and children’s homes that are suitable and in the best interests of the children.

Children placed in Home of Hope’s care are children that have been abandoned, abused or neglected and are affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, HIV and other illnesses’. These children are in need of long term, stable care.

Do the children need to leave Home of Hope at 18 years of age?

At Home of Hope, like any family with special needs children, we asked ourselves the question “What will happen to our children as adults?”

Based on the knowledge of the children’s disabilities and often no family support from outside of Home of Hope, we do not believe that it is in the best interests of the children to stop all support at 18 years of age.

For this reason, Home of Hope has opened a working care farm, Sun Home Farm. Click here for more information on Sun Home Farm.

Do you take donations?

Yes, we rely on and desperately need donations for many of our children’s needs! We accept clothing, toys, books, kitchen and homeware items, working appliances and furniture.

We use what we need for our children, and then either outsource items to other charities or sell donations in our charity shop to raise funds for our organisation.

Can I bring my child to meet the underprivileged children when they donate their toys?

As well intentioned as the gesture may be, it is important that we protect our children’s dignity and self-worth. We ask that you please respect our children by allowing them to live with privacy and security.